INCI Name- Isopropyl myristate
Alternative Names- Tetra decanoic acid, 1-methylethyl ester, propan-2-yl tetra decanoate, Ester gel
Molecular Formulae- C17H34O2
Appearance: colorless adhering liquid
Odour: odorless to faint odour
Isopropyl myristate is a synthetic oil composed of isopropyl alcohol, a propane derivative and myristic acid.it is also a naturally occurring fatty acid.
It's a common cosmetic component found in a wide range of beauty products, such as aftershaves, antiperspirants, and anti-ageing lotions.
- Strengthens the skin barrier: Isopropyl myristate keeps the outermost layer of the skin strong and intact. Think of the skin barrier as being made up of bricks and mortar: the cells are the bricks, and all of the lipids (fats) are the mortar. Isopropyl myristate is that mortar, filling in cracks in between the skin cells so that moisture can't escape.
- Dry to normal skin types will benefit most from the moisture-locking abilities. Still, it is suitable for most skin types except those that have an identified allergy to it, or those that are actively trying to decongest their skin. SYNERGETIC INGREDIENTS: Works well with most ingredients.
- Enhances the penetration of other ingredients: The exact mechanism by which this works isn't fully clear, but it's thought that isopropyl myristate changes the structure of the stratum corneum, the most external layer of the skin, making it easier for active ingredients to absorb, explains Belkin. In turn, this can make the skincare you're using more effective.
Improves product texture: This benefit doesn't relate exactly to the skin, but isopropyl myristate can make skincare products have that lush, creamy, but not oily feel.
Isopropyl myristate can help to improve the texture of the products. It helps to thicken the product, which enhances the feeling of the product on the skin as it is applied. In formulation, it prevents oil-based ingredients from feeling too greasy or heavy but creating an even emulsion.
- Isopropyl myristate also eliminates germs, which is one of its key advantages. As a result, it is frequently used in hand sanitizers. This, together with the fact that isopropyl myristate evaporates quickly, makes it an excellent component in both skincare and hand sanitizer products.
- FOR PERFUMES: IPM is a great fixative; delaying fragrance evaporation on the skin and extending the fragrance shelf life.
- Great alternative to Perfumer's Alcohol; Making your oils sprayable without the alcohol smell.
- It is soluble in most solvents but is insoluble in water.
- USAGE RATE
- Lotions & Creams 2% - 20%
- Lipstick & Lip Balms 1%
HOW TO USE-
- Prepare the oil and water phases of your formulation separately.
- Heat the water and oil phase using a double boiler.
- Add our isopropyl myristate to the heated oil phase with constant stirring.
- Blend both the phases using a mixer until the required consistency is obtained.